Nerd Herd has moved
Nerd Herd has moved!
We're now located at http://nerdherd.blogsome.com. A basic archive of the old site content is available, comments are viewable but new ones are disabled.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Nickname Suggestions


Don't you just hate it when a username is unavailable and a service tries to help by randomizing some more to choose from? I find MSN's suggestions particularly offensive, as you will see above. So I clicked 'More Nicknames', only to get the equally bad suggestions shown above in the purple box. I eventually decided on NerdyFlix (no, MSN didn't suggest it), but here is what MSN seems to think of me, provided by Google Define:

Trashy: rubbishy: cheap and inferior; of no value; "rubbishy newspapers that form almost the sole reading of the majority"; "trashy merchandise"
Guilty: Having committed a crime or tort; the word used by a prisoner in pleading to an indictment when he confesses the crime of which he is charged, and by the jury in convicting.
Sole: lone: being the only one; single and isolated from others; "the lone doctor in the entire county"; "a lonesome pine"; "an only child"; "the sole heir"; "the sole example"; "a solitary instance of cowardice"; "a solitary speck in the sky" or right-eyed flatfish; many are valued as food; most common in warm seas especially European
Wrier: No definitions, but 'did you mean writer?' Looks like MSN still can't spell!
Grotty: very unpleasant or offensive ; "a grotty little play"
Macabre: ghastly: shockingly repellent; inspiring horror; "ghastly wounds"; "the grim aftermath of the bombing"; "the grim task of burying the victims"; "a grisly murder"; "gruesome evidence of human sacrifice"; "macabre tales of war and plague in the Middle ages"; "macabre tortures conceived by madmen"

As for the numbers, I think they must be random, but 7749 turns up in the Salvo London Theft Helpline: 020 7749 9948, is there a link to being guilty there? 6247 implies that I am an evil pirate, because Lego Set Number 6247 is part of the Pirates series, it's the Bounty Boat set, from 1992. W95.SleepyHead.5632 is a crappy little Windows 95/98/ME virus that can corrupt PE files but not much else, is this also hinting that I am evil? As for 2905, I found out my birthday will be on a Saturday in 2905. Wikipedia says: '[Saturday's] name is unique among the names of days, in that it is derived from the Roman god Saturn, while the other six names are derived from Saxon gods.' Does this mean that I am weird and different, and that I don't fit in? Does MSN really hate me or am I just paranoid?