Nerd Herd has moved
Nerd Herd has moved!
We're now located at http://nerdherd.blogsome.com. A basic archive of the old site content is available, comments are viewable but new ones are disabled.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Nepalese Internet

The people of Nepal will be breathing a sigh of relief after they got their phones and internet back. A week ago, the king took control of the country and sacked his government when they failed to deal with the Maoist rebels.
When he took control, he declared a state of emergency and made it illegal to criticize him for two years. He also cut all the phone lines and banned all large public gatherings (except for rallies that supported him).
However, a week later they do at least have their phones and internet (which is probably rather restricted) back, although mobile networks are still out of action. I don't know if I could live without internet for a week, so I am glad that they have got theirs back.
To read more about this story, click here.
Update by Flix: Here is a blog dedicated to the problem.