Nerd Herd has moved
Nerd Herd has moved!
We're now located at http://nerdherd.blogsome.com. A basic archive of the old site content is available, comments are viewable but new ones are disabled.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

iPod Shuffle Shortage

Tom, Meaningless and me all went down to the Apple Store, Regent Street, London on Saturday 29th January, which just happened to be the UK launch of the Mac Mini. The visit was great, really really good; the Mac Mini is beyond all expectations, the G5 towers and iMacs were incredible, and the dual screen setups [photo] they were showing off were just.. incredible. Everything was great, there were plenty of staff, everything was working (well, they were Macs!) and basically it was all perfect. Except... the queue downstairs was immense, with hundreds of people queuing to buy their Mac Minis and iPod Shuffles. I also planned to buy an iPod Shuffle that day, and was quite sure I would be able to, as there were no notices or signs saying otherwise by the display models, and there was even a big sign by the entrance which read, 'Life is Random - iPod Shuffle, buy yours today'. So I joined the queue. Then, eagle-eyed Tom pointed out the queue upstairs was almost non-existent. So I dashed upstairs, dashed to the counter, and was answered with, 'No, I'm sorry, we're out of stock of those at the moment, they're still going through Customs. We'll be getting them in early next week.'. Ah. Problemo. So I ask one of the other staff if there is anywhere nearby I could get one; 'No, but here's our phone number [hands me a really stylish card], we'll probably have some next week.' Yes, and I'm just fine to travel via bus, train and tube again for about 2 hours each way to come and get one then. Cough. So after we visited the Science Museum, I return empty-handed. I later find out there is an international shortage [engadget]. Grr. I'll get one somehow.
On a happier note, we've posted lots of pictures from the Apple Store on our Photos page - check them out! We also have a new downloads page, where you can listen to and download the Nerd Herd Theme Tune, and there are all-new wallpapers! Our online store is also currently being updated and improved, buy buy bye bye!